Sunday 21 June 2015

The road to happiness

Road trip 1 of 4 has happened. (In case you were worried after my last post, I have called the other people I am planning on visiting over the next few weekends. Our planned trips have the last official green light!)

This trip was just me. I drove out to Dalwallinu: a tiny town in the wheat belt of Western Australia.

I have a confession to make. I actually don't like driving particularly, although I do like going places, I don't love the actual part where I have to be behind the wheel. If I have the choice I am happy to be the passenger.

This weekend just gone was just what I needed though. It was a 6 hour 'round trip. The scenery was beautiful. The traffic conditions were perfect (by perfect I mean virtually no traffic, just enough random cars to reassure you that if something does go wrong that you will be found).

I watched the growing rain clouds.

Rain on the horizon: very important in farming land.


I took photos of random things (check out @philosophy_minors on Instagram or @PhilosophyMinor on Twitter or #krisangels).

Dragon? Dinosaur? Lizard?


I stopped for so-bad-its-good roadhouse food.

Chicken cheese sausage, and a crab still. 


I enjoyed my accidental detours to Northam on the way there and Toodyay on the way back.

Northam Town Hall

I listed to an audiobook.

The picture just doesn't do the colour justice.

I recharged my soul.


I also thought of some tips to share with you (ok they pretty obvious ones, but worth thinking about):
  • Fill up on fuel before you leave. 
  • Keep an eye on the fuel gauge; nothing spoils the serenity of driving a country road like anxiously watching the fuel gauge and hoping you'll make it to the next stop.
  • You may not get mobile reception.
  • Stop. Stretch. 
  • Make sure you have water with you.
  • Let people know your ETA. 
I learned new lessons this weekend:

  • Multi-tasking is great, but buying a mirror at the beginning of a road trip may not be the best idea. 
  • If you listen to an audio book with Scottish accents for over six hours, you may begin to hear Scottish accents in your dreams.
The next two trips will be with the girls. I am not expecting the same level of serenity, but I am expecting them to be fun! I actually have a photo challenge for the girls to try next weekend on the way to Boddington, I will let you know how that goes.

Happy adventuring!

Cath xx


No comments:

Post a Comment